Research & Development
AKI offers an implant for the reconstruction of the nucleus in the treatment of herniated discs (collagen matrix) to restore the natural shock absorbing capacity of the disc (REPLACE).
Moreover, a sealing system was developed for the annulus (CLOSURE). The oblong implant is implanted into the intervertebral disc arthroscopically or by means of mini-arthrotomy and remains stable in the defect. After implantation, the sealing system is introduced through the access channel.
Biomechanical tests were successfully completed at Ulm University
- First experimental studies at Amsterdam University revealed the need for improvement of the sealing system
R & D Cooperation
AKI cooperates with reknown clinical experts for product enhancements and product developments:
- Prof Nehrer, Donau University Krems, Austria (biological treatment of osteoarthritis)
- Prof Dr. Jagodzinski, Hannover Medical School, Germany (methods of intraoperative injection of stem cells in the collagen type I matrix)
- PD Dr Nöth, Würzburg University, Germany (use of biological processes for the regeneration of articular cartilage in the hip joint)
- Dr Schulz et al., Leipzig University, Germany (controlled compression type I collagen matrix by centrifugation)
- Prof Dr Dr Reinhard Schnettler, Giessen University, Germany (clinical studies of allografts)